Monday 2 December 2013

step 1 of monogram making


you know how every brand has their own style, logo, colours, or even symbols to represent their speciality. we would not want to see every designer brands with similar layout on how they present their brand do we? or even the simplest things, like restaurants or any companies. each and every merchandise out there have their own way of naming their brands. 

As for us, we were told to come up with a monogram that represents ourselves. monograms are similar to logos but for monograms, alphabets and fonts and also colours play a bigger role rather than having pictures as symbols. It is initials of names made into unique styles to represent one self. Simple, straightforward, and can be tricky at times. it takes more than just designing one, a lot of thinking and experimenting is needed in the process of coming up with a good monogram :) there are a few brands monograms that really wow people, how they arrange the alphabets together to form something so simple yet a whole lot of meanings to it.


the few examples of famous brands monograms : 


there are all so simple yet it shouts the brand's name in such a unique way :) 

I personally like fonts that like more edgy but at the same time has a twist (/curve, swirl?) to it. I was attracted to fonts that looked simple and also complicated at the same time. even reading what i have to explain is complicated isn't it? haha. for me, I have never tied myself down to just one thing, call me indecisive but I prefer to try new things and go through different obstacles in everything i do. I prefer not to stay to only one type of anything because at the end of the day I feel like even after creating a hundred different design of the same thing, it would all come down to the same thing at the end of the day. 

Back to how i prefer my fonts and alphabets and layouts, as i said during our class presentation, I like it simple and complicated at the same time :) even if it is complicated, it is obviously not a hundred strokes to it, just maybe some twist and turn around the corner to bring some character out of it? :) 

this below are the few fonts and design that catch my flu attention after flipping millions of pages in the library : 


see what i meant? edgy but with a little twist :) 



what i liked about this two were the colours combination
I loveeee colors, but i still come down to black & white depends on what I'm dealing with. hahha



this! was my personal favourite! 
i love love love the fonts of the "AVANT GARDE"
its so easy to read and yet it gives shape to the whole layout 


this one too! 
so edgy, me likey :) 
and also the up down effect going on there
even with motion and irregular shapes going on, it still looks simple 



the colour contrast is this is just too awesome i couldn't resist not liking it! 




hehe, i will update later on about my progress after knowing how i wanted my fonts to be like. 
I will tell you that the process in finding the right monogram for yourselves is a pain in the butt, but at the same time it is the excitement of finding what is right for yourselves and what screams "you" in just a small picture. it was difficult but one of the funniest assignment given. 

stay tune! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment