Wednesday 24 July 2013

Self portrait

SOOOOOOOO. Our semester 2 has began, pretty excited yetttt a little terrified to see what we have to face for this semester. 

As for our  first class of 2D design class, we were asked to come up with a self portrait describing ourselves, Again. BUT THIS TIME with a little twist ( of course). We not only had to come up with a self portrait of ourselves.. we had to be creative and use materials ( leaves, stones , wood, branches, water... etc ) to built our self portrait. 

it sounds exciting? yeap it is, but a little challenging too since there was not much material that could be found on campus except for rocks/stones, duck/ goose feathers, leaves, grass, mud. And me wanting to be different, I had to think of other materials that most people would not think of using. I did not want to have something common, but yet still explains the same meaning to what i have to say about myself. 

After much thoughts, i finally thought of BALLLOOOONS. I initially wanted feathers or something light yet to go with my freedom concept. And then i thought harder. 

The description for my self portrait was : I am who I am, i do not like anything/ anyone that is fake. I find myself difficult to face unreal statements around me. once I cant put myself in liking a certain someone/ something I would not fake myself in liking it. In short, I'm not a two face kind of person. Also, I like to be free and not be under any control of anything/ anyone. I like to be able to move about and do what i like --- ( can be a rebel when I have restrictions ) 

and soooooo, my idea of a balloon came about :) 



I was so worried on whether i could actually find balloons on campus. I tried asking around but no one knew where to get em. and finally when the stationary shop on campus opens, i was the first one dashing in looking for balloons. and of course i jump for joy when i found them :DDD

I created a balloon image of me.  Gave it eyes, nose and mouth and even made strips of hair out of paper and some tape  to give it some volume to my "sculpture"







I had fun :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment